Making Your Video Look its Best in bigflannel Portfolio
Information About Prepping Video
Videos have to be prepped in the right format to play across different browsers in HTML5. You must produce two versions, an H264 and a Theora version. If you're using Flash only, bigflannel Portfolio will play H.264, FLV, or F4V format video. If you're using HTML5, do not produce FLV or F4V formats. Upload the H264 version to SlideShowPro Director, upload the Theora version to the folder bigflannel-portfolio-media and copy and paste its path into the tag field of the H264 version you uploaded. A typical path might be: 'bigflannel-portfolio-media/reversePourD.ogg'.
Mobile devices are typically limited in the video resolution they can render. Consider it good practice to provide video in two albums, one for desktop and one for mobile. In addition to producing two versions, video has to be prepped at smaller pixel dimensions and bit rates for mobile because the devices are less powerful.
Or use your Vimeo account to embed video into bigflannel Portfolio either as an individual video or as a feed. See adding single Vimeo videos and option hasVimeo. https://bigflannel.zendesk.com/entries/20231746-Full-Options-List
Video Settings for bigflannel Portfolio
1) Use video codec H.264 and Theora
2) Use audio codec AAC and Theora
3) Set the deinterlace filter to its best setting
4) Set the pixel aspect ratio to be square
5) Set fast start
6) Set multi-pass on
General Bit Rate Guidance
1) For a frame size of 1920 x 1080 (full high definition), choose a data rate of 7,000-8,000 Kbps.
2) For a frame size of 1280 x 720 (commonly-used high definition), choose a data rate of 5,000-6,000 Kbps.
3) For a frame size of 640 x 480 (standard definition), choose a data rate of 1,000-2,000 Kbps.
4) For a frame size of 320 x 240 (Internet-size content), choose a data rate of 300-500 Kbps.
5) For a frame size of 176 x 144 (3G), choose a data rate of 50-60 Kbps for 10-15 fps content, or up to 150-200 Kbps for 24-30 fps content.
6) Frame rate: Frame rate is the number of individual images shown every second. Standard (NTSC) video has a frame rate of 29.97 frames per second (fps), and the standard for film is 24 fps. The European standard (PAL) is 25 fps.
General Guideline Settings
To stream well to a desktop across most ISPs use the following settings: H.264 video codec, AAC audio codec at 48khz, frame rate at 23.97 frames per second, 720 pixels wide, and with a bit rate of 3MB/s.
The maximum quality that will run on an iPhone seems to be: H.264 video codec, AAC audio codec at 48khz, frame rate at 29.97 frames per second, 640 pixels wide, and with a bit rate of 1.4MB/s.
Portfolio Video Options
Currently there is one video option and it applies to the Flash portfolio only. Setting video to have limited size will mean video runs at its maximum pixel dimensions or lower, rather than fitting the browser window, and will therefore not look pixelated.
If hasLimitedSizeVideo is set as true, video will be displayed at its original size in pixels or less. If hasLimitedSize is false, video will expand to fit the space available in the browser within the portfolio layout.
Examples of hasLimitedSizeVideo include:
values: true or false